Newfoundlanders and Labradorians Against Student Debt (NLASD)

We aren't asking for a free ride from the Government in paying back our loans, but what we are asking for is to have the interest eliminated. What is worth more to the province of Newfoundland and Labrador? Stopping out-migration of educated young people? Or the money the government receives in interest off of our Newfoundland and Labrador student loans?

  • SIGN THE PETITION
  • Monday, October 23, 2006

    Stop the Insanity!

    This blog serves as an outlet for all Newfoundlanders and Labradorians who are in debt with student loans. We aren't asking for a free ride from the Government in paying back our loans, but what we are asking for is to have the interest eliminated. What is worth more to the province of Newfoundland and Labrador? Stopping out-migration of educated young people? Or the money the government receives in interest off of our Newfoundland and Labrador student loans? We firmly believe that by keeping our educated young people in this province by getting rid of the interest on student loans, the government and the province as a whole will benefit. More families who stay in OUR province to contribute to OUR economy will be of a greater benefit than the interest gained from our people living, working, and contributing to another province's economy.

    3 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Travis,

    I understand where you are coming from exactly. I'm in Ontario in Law School. Unfortunately we don't have a law school in Newfoundland so we have no choice but leave home to get a legal education. I want to come back home to practice law when I graduate in April. At that time I will owe nearly one hundred thousand dollars in student debt. My first year out as an articling student my salary will be about $26,000.00 per year. After that I will be lucky to get $38,000.00 as a first year associate. I doubt that I'll live long enough to pay off my student debt. After all of this hard work I have a life of student debt poverty to look forward to. Not exactly what I had hoped for at this stage in my life. I signed your petition and will forward it to others.

    Take Care
    Tina

    Tuesday, October 24, 2006 9:56:00 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Travis,

    Good job on bringing this important issue to light once again. I am currently paying off a student loan, I graduated from Business at Memorial and a Programmer/Analyst Diploma at College of the North Atlantic, let me tell ya, it didn't come cheap. As you made reference to the interest, I borrowed approx $52,000 and when all is said and done, I will have paid back close to, if not over, $100,000. This is utterly ridiculous. This is money that could be spent in the province, therefore bettering our economy. When I graduated and starting paying on my student loan, it felt as though I was paying a mortgage without a house to show for it. I am lucky that my husband did not have a student loan, if he did, I don't know how we could afford to pay the monthly payment. I sympathize with couples where both are paying on student loans. The part that bothers me the most about this issue is that those that are fortunate enough to not have a student loan do not appreciate the seriousnes of the issue. If the topic came up in conversation with people over the past few years, sometimes the comment was made - "Students are at it again, think they would give up". Easy to know they are not having $600-$700 a month withdrawn from their account. As I see it now, my son will be finishing up high school as I finish paying my loan, he is now 6 months old - shocking.....
    I will be signing your petition and will be forwarding to others.


    Go for it,
    Lisa

    Wednesday, October 25, 2006 2:23:00 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Travis,
    I am behind you 100% since I too am paying back a student loan which takes almost 2 weeks of my current salary and like most, the interest is killing me. It is interesting to know that I can get a mortgage, car, or any other possession with a cheaper interest rate than I got my education. Does that seem odd to anyone else???

    Sunday, November 05, 2006 12:38:00 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home